“Bear one another’s burdens, and so you will fulfill the law of Christ.”
What is Stephen Ministry?
- A distinctively Christian confidential caregiving available to people going through difficult times and who are in need of support in their lives.
- It is a Christ-centered ministry, where God is the cure giver.
- It is part of a parish’s pastoral care ministry.
Who is a Stephen Minister?
- A member of a parish who has answered God’s call to use his/her God given gifts to follow Jesus’ caring footsteps as a Christian care giver.
- Stephen Ministers are carefully recruited, selected, trained for over 50 hours and then participate in regular supervision meetings to provide the best possible care.
- They are prepared to enter into confidential, one-to-one relationships where they will listen, pray, extend acceptance, and provide distinctively Christian care.
- A trustworthy confidant who will keep everything his or her care receiver says and even their identity – confidential.
- Someone who will “be there” for his or her care receiver, meeting faithfully for about an hour each week, for as long as there is a need.
How do they serve?
- They provide ongoing emotional and spiritual support by listening, praying and extending acceptance.
- They do it in confidential, one-to-one relationships with their care receivers.
“…whatever you did for one of these
least brothers of mine, you did for me.”
If you are interested in becoming a Stephen Minister, please contact the Stephen Ministry Team at one of the parish sites!