“Bear one another’s burdens, and so you will fulfill the law of Christ.”
What is Stephen Ministry?
- A distinctively Christian confidential caregiving available to people going through difficult times and who are in need of support in their lives.
- It is a Christ-centered ministry, where God is the cure giver.
- It is part of a parish’s pastoral care ministry.
A Stephen Minister is:
- A member of a parish who has answered God’s call to use his/her God given gifts to follow Jesus’ caring footsteps as a Christian care giver.
- Stephen Ministers are carefully recruited, selected, trained for over 50 hours and then participate in regular supervision meetings to provide the best possible care.
- They are prepared to enter into confidential, one-to-one relationships where they will listen, pray, extend acceptance, and provide distinctively Christian care.
- A trustworthy confidant who will keep everything you say—and even your identity – confidential.
- Someone who will walk with you throughout your difficult time; someone who will “be there” for you, meeting faithfully for about an hour each week, for as long as there is a need.
Stephen Ministers Care For People Facing Tough Times
Stephen Ministers provide confidential, one-to-one Christian care to people who are:
- Grieving the death of a loved one
- Hospitalized or recovering from hospitalization
- Lonely or discouraged
- Coping with a terminal illness or caring for a family member with a terminal illness
- Dealing with divorce or separation
- Caring for a family member with Alzheimer’s or Dementia
- Unemployed or in a job crisis
- Disabled or caring for a disabled family member
- Moving or relocating
- Anticipating the birth or adoption of a child
- Homebound or institutionalized
- Transitioning into retirement
- Dealing with the crisis of aging
- Experiencing a spiritual crisis
- Victims of a disaster or accident
- And people facing countless other crises or life challenges or who are going through a difficult time and could benefit from the care of a supportive Christian friend.
God does not intend for you to struggle alone
If you are interested in having a Stephen Minister, please contact the Stephen Ministry Team at one of the parish sites!